Why I Started Juicing & How I Came Up With My Own Juice Recipe:
- I’ve had asthma since childhood and wanted to get off the daily pharmaceutical drugs. Don’t know their side effects or trust Big Pharma corporations. Breathing easier would mean reducing inflammation and mucus in my airways.
- Detox – In Chiang Mai, there’s pollution from all the tuk-tuks, cars, trucks and scooters. Also, wanted to get rid of the toxins in the food I ate, especially Thai food cooked in unhealthy oils and MSG. Sometimes eating clean is hard to do, but at-least with juicing it helps the body get rid of the impurities. Another reason is in a few weeks I’ll be flying to Ecuador for another ayahuasca retreat – eating cleanly and following the strict guidelines of the dieta are essential for at-least 2 weeks before it starts.
- Energy & Clear Skin – I’m going to be 36 next month and not only wanted to feel younger, but also look younger. Incorporating a plant-based diet is an easy way to accomplish this.
- Post Workout Recovery: It’s essential after a hard workout to get the proper nutrients – your body needs them in order to repair the muscle damage and grow new cells. Personally, I don’t eat enough vegetables – in fact I hate eating them. But with juicing, you can get in 11+ veggies just by drinking them – way easier and tastier. I wish I had done this when training for my first Muay Thai fight – besides recovery, I think it would have helped with my cardio and breathing (reduced mucus buildup in my airways).
Panasonic MJ- DJ01 – Juicing for asthma, detox, clear skin
- What model do I use: Panasonic MJ- DJ01
- How much did it cost: $121/ 4,000 Thai Baht
- Where did I buy it: Chiang Mai – Huay Kaew Mall – Central Store
All the veggies I juice with
My Juice Recipe:
1 -2 Stalks of Celery
2 Busshels of Kale
2 Busshels of Spinach
1 Cup of Lettuce
2 Small Tomato’s
1 Cucumber (regular or Japanese)
1 Inch of Turmeric
1 Inch of Young Ginger
2-3 inches of Onion (amount discretionary)
1 Apple or 1 Fresh Coconut
Mix in by hand:
1 Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tablespoon of Maca Root Powder
Kombucha (amount discretionary)
2 Cloves of Garlic chopped
1/4 Lemon hand squeezed
Kombucha, Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon, Garlic, Maca Root Powder
Explanation For Why These Specific Veggies & What Are the Benefits:
A lot of these veggies are “super-foods” because they pack in a lot of healthy ingredients and offer numerous benefits. When I started Googling each one individually to figure out what specific juice recipe to use, I noticed there was some overlap. It’ll take too long for me to list each one, so I’m just going to highlight some of the more popular benefits. I’d recommend digging a bit deeper yourself if there’s a specific ailment you’re trying to cure or deal with.
A few of the vitamins, minerals, acids:
- Vitamins A,B, C, K
- Omega 3’s fatty acids
- Minerals ie. Potassium, Iron, Phosphorous, Thiamine
- High folic acid
Known Benefits & Healing Powers:
- Fights Numerous Types of Cancers
- Reduces High Blood Pressure & Lowers Cholesterol
Stimulates Your Metabolism & Suppresses Hunger
- Good for Skin, Hair, Eyes
Digestion Promotion & Gut Health, especially Kombucha
- PH Balance: Alkalizes your Body
This is what the finished juice looks like – tasty!
Tips For Juicing:
- Try to use only 1 fruit – too many sugars and you’ll be a fatty 😛
- Try to buy organic veggies. You don’t want pesticides / GMO’s in your body.
- Oxidation – Try to drink the juice within 15 minutes, otherwise the air has an effect on the juice and the nutritional compounds.
- If you’re not eating anything with your juice, make the chewing motions with your mouth – this signals your body to start producing the digestive enzymes.
- Wishlist of other things to use in my juice recipe: wheatgrass, spirulina
- Where do I buy my veggies in Chiang Mai – Rimping market in Maya Mall
- When to juice: First thing in morning since your body is very “receptive” to any nutrition it gets – since you’ve been sleeping all night, anything it gets is well received.
- You may experience a “healing crisis” when first juicing, like I did. My knee hurt (where I previously had a torn MCL), chest pain (from collapsed lung twice) and had a stuffy nose and allergy-like symptoms. This went on for 3-4 weeks. You’re body remembers all your past health issues and the plants are going back in time and “healing” these. Just wait it out.
- What can you do with juicing scraps – use it for composting. Or take the seeds and plant them in a pot and grow your own, ie. lemons or onions.
Healthy breakfast, juice and beautiful view of Chiang Mai – good way to start the day!
Bonus: Breakfast Of Champions!
This is what I ate almost everyday…if I skip breakfast, I cook this up at night as a late night “snack” before bed. It contains healthy fats (avocado and coconut oil), protein (eggs) and healthy carbs (sweet potato’s). Himalayan salt contains many essential minerals, normally stripped out of regular table salt. The grass-fed butter is healthy as well. Cooking time is 15-20 min.
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Sweet Potato
- Coconut Oil – Preferably Cold-Pressed, Extra Virgin
- Grass-fed Butter ie. Anchor brand
- Pink Himalayan Salt
Breakfast Of Champions! Eggs, Avocado, Sweet Potato’s
- Pre-heat the skillet with coconut oil, then slice up the sweet potatoes into thinner slices. Cook until their soft and make sure they suck up the coconut oil. When done, set aside onto plate and pour leftover coconut oil onto the sweet potato’s.
- Next coat the skillet with the grass-fed butter, then cook the eggs to however you like them.
- When everything is done, toss on the pink Himalayan salt. Cut up the avocado and enjoy!