* Update – Feb.22, 2013 *
The below schedule is from my first trip (May – June 2012). I’m back in Thailand and will be based out of Phuket for the next 3 months. Still haven’t decided where I’m off to after that… 🙂
- Friday 11:40 PM – May 25th, 2012 – Leave JFK / NYC via Qatar Airways b1tches! 😛
- Some 12.5 hours later arrive to Doha, Qatar (that’s the Middle East for you un-edu-macated ‘tards)…2 hour layover.
- Depart 8:55 PM (local time) Qatar Airways, trip time to Bangkok is 6.5 hours.
- Sunday 7:45 AM (local time) – May 27th, 2012 – Arrive to Suvarnabhumi International (BKK), Bangkok.
- 8:50 AM (local time) – Catch Air Asia flight to Phuket. Hour and twenty min flight time.
Phuket – Sunday May 25th – Saturday June 9th
- I wanted to start my training by “easing” into the pain…with the beaches so close, I can both relax and still train hard while adjusting to Thailand. Those of you who know me know I’ll be working on that tan when not at the gym, lol.
- Will be staying at the Fern House Retreat in Chalong.
- Will be training at a bunch of different Muay Thai gyms to see which one I like…Phuket Top Team, Dragon MT, Tiger MT, Singpatong and Sumalee (Thanks Angela).
Bangkok – Saturday June 9th – Sunday June 10th
- Will be flying in from Phuket (hour and twenty min flight)
- The main reason I’m stopping by for the weekend is to check out the professional Muay Thai fights scheduled in “Battle of the Belts” at the Impact Arena. These include: Saenchai S. Saenchai, Sagetdao, Kem Sitsongpeenong and my favorite American, Joe Schilling (rumor has it he’s replacing Simon Marcus). 7 WBC belts are on the line…
- I’ll also be doing some sight-seeing at the historical Muay Thai stadiums: Lumpinee & Rajadamnern
Chiang Mai – Sunday June 10th – Wednesday June 20th
- Northern mountainous city – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Mai
- Will be flying in from Bangkok (hour and fifteen min flight)
- Staying at Noble Palace
- Training at Team Quest
- The two twin trainers Joe & Gen are nasty (in a good way)
Sitmonchai – Thamaka, Kanchanaburi Province – Wednesday June 20th – Monday July 2nd
- Will be flying in from Chiang Mai to Bangkok (hour and fifteen min flight). Then taking either minivan or taxi (about 2 hours) to Thamaka.
- Living and training exclusively at Sitmonchai gym.
- This is a “fighters gym” and only recently started allowing foreigners (farang) to train here. I get to live and train with real Thai fighters and no distractions.
- It’s a family run gym and all the reviews I’ve read about this place have really positive things in regards to their experience here. The owner’s mother cooks all the meals…this is the only gym you actually gain weight! ha
- Their aggressive fighting style is famous for “heavy hands and powerful low-kicks” 🙂
- Pornsaneh Sitmonchai the world-famous champ trains there…who is he?
Going back to the States – Monday July 2nd
- 8:50 PM – Depart Suvarnabhumi Int’l airport (BKK) via Air India
- 4 hours later, arrive in Mumbai
- 2 hour layover
- 1:30 AM – Depart Air India
- Flight time is 16 hours
- 7:55 AM (Eastern Time) – Arrive Newark, Dirty Jerz!
- Go home and cry I’m back, lol