Day 26 Thurs 6/21
I was getting bored and lonely…the Dutch guys I met recommended going on a jungle trek (something I planned initially) because it’s a great way to meet people since you go in groups of 20 – 30 people. But it was already Thursday and they usually last 3 days…time which I didn’t have. So I went to Doi Suthep again but this time to check out the park and waterfalls. The entrance fee is 60 – 100 baht.
For lunch, I went to a back-alley spot with a friend I met in Chiang Mai. She was a local so did the foor ordering…check out the chicken feet, hahaha. Sitting at our table was a young guy…we started talking and he was from Germany. He just got to Chiang Mai but has been all over Thailand and parts of Cambodia…he was even in Phuket for a bit and trained Muay Thai as well….he’s got an open-ended ticket. It’s funny how we’re in some random spot in off-street alleys, but you can still meet interesting people and have a conversation. That’s one of the things I love most about this trip.
For dinner, I wanted something besides Thai…drove past a falafel place so decided to check it out. It was actually Israeli owned…when I asked for a menu, they noticed I spoke English and the owner asked me sit with him. He was a funny guy and used to be a Western Boxer.
Day 27 Fri 6/22
For brunch, I went to Better Butter dinner, an American style place next to the falafel place. I was feeling a bit depressed from not training…my last session was last Thursday in Phuket. So today I decided to just suck it up and take some Advils and Tiger Balm for my injuries…drove out to Team Quest and did the 4pm Muay Thai class. Ian Cartwright, one of the owners greeted me and we chatted a bit before I started my warm up. Did jump rope, then stretched and shadow-boxed. During this time, I met some of the guys…some were from the UK, Canada, US and Iceland…the class size was about 10-14 people.
- Did 3 -5 rounds on pads with Kru Joe (one of the twins)
- Combo: Jabs, hook, right kick
- Combo: Jabs, elbow , knee
- Elbow combo’s: Left Up elbow, Right Up elbow
- side elbow (left then right)
- left-elbow side-ways going up, followed by spinning right elbow (my favorite)
- 1-2, 2 combo, double kick, regular kick, followed by high-kick, leg check, followed by roundhouse, left uppercut / right uppercut
- I really liked Kru Joe’s style of combo’s and they seemed to work well with my body mechanics. He didn’t correct me too much on my stance or tech.
- Last part on pads were 10 kicks on each side.
- Pad work is always my favorite part of training sessions and it felt awesome to be hitting them again.
- Next were rounds on the bags, with 15 pushups in between. Did this until everyone had pad sessions.
- Then sparring with Kru Joe. They spar a bit faster here and I forgot my mouthpiece. He pretty much whipped my ass the whole time haha. I definitely need more sparring time.
- Something funny I overheard was from Ian: “Get your Muay Thai swag on” he said to some new guy working on his stance. This is the bounce, shoulders moving back and fourth. Looks almost like the jig you’d do in a hip-hop club, lol.
- End was cool down drills. Pushups (slow up, slow down), regular pushups. 200 sit-ups.
- Hung around and spoke to Ian for a bit afterwards. It was interesting to hear his story of how he ended up Thailand starting up a gym. He wants to expand the gym eventually and use up the space in the back. Class sizes have been increasing.
- I bought some Team Quest Muay Thai shorts and a t-shirt.
That night for dinner, I went to the night bazaar. Ate at a restaurant called Ping Ping which has fresh seafood at reasonable prices. Definitely recommend it if you visit Chiang Mai.
Afterwards, I went to watch the Team Quest guys fight Kawila Stadium which was not far away. Since I train with them, I get discounted admission for only 300 baht at the door. Kru Gen’s knee was hurt so he didn’t fight. However, Adrien was still scheduled to fight. Before his fight, we were in the stand-up viewing area where other fighters were, just hanging out with the Team Quest guys…he was getting warmed up and massaged with oil by the kru’s. When it was his turn, we got to go inside the seated VIP area and had a great view. He landed a flying knee. In the 3rd round, the fight was called and he was victorious. It was definitely an exciting fight to watch. Check out the video here (just round 3) : http://youtu.be/PqswooTiQks
Full 3 rounds by Team Quest: http://youtu.be/zGC2HgZrCBc[nggallery id=20]